The Newest Addition To The Garage

Home Forums Members’ bikes The Newest Addition To The Garage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    BigBen
    Participant

as i have mentioned i have purchased me a rather tatty 1200 bandit, in black, with quite alot of weight reduction. mostly being cracks and bits not being there :D
    but all is well, as the bike does work.

i havnt got any pictures to upload yet as the whole bike needs a good scrub before i can unleash it on you guys and i cant do that while im ill, or i could but im not going to :P
    i left the house for the first time in 4 days today….not good.

after much debate ive decided im going to keep hold of the bandit and spend a good couple of quid restoring it to what it should be, and possibly a little more ;)
    this was up for debate as after the first week of riding it i had decided i was just going to push it on as the indicators dont work and it was hacking me off something chronic and also there were a few minor concerns.

SPEC SO FAR:

Red Renthals
    Modified Airbox
    Duct tape holding the headlight on
    LED Indicators (that dont work properly)
    Aftermarket Undertray
    Renthal Race Grips
    Oil Cooler Guard

ON ORDER:

Sprint steering damper (in the post at the mo)

WISH LIST:

YZF-R1 5PW swingarm + shock + jack up kit
    YZF-R1 5PW subframe + seat unit + seats
    Tokico 6 pot calipers + wavey discs
    ZX10R C2H front master cylinder
    A paint job…
    Bellypan

and so on….pics to follow :D

HippoDrones
    Participant

gws then post some pics… You keep teasing us! lol

BigBen
    Participant

hehehe, all in good time.
    i lied to you all, ive bailed on the R1 stuff…thats just the same as everyone else so whats the point.
    i want something that will be different and turn heads.

by the way my oil cooler line exploded other day…hahah! im glad it did it at 60 on a straight road rather than about ten minutes earlier when i was doing 110 round twisties.

anyways, i have a trick up my sleeve that i could not possibly tell you at his early stage. the bandit is here to stay

BigBen
    Participant

STA71937.jpg

STA71938.jpg

STA71939.jpg

STA71940.jpg

STA71941.jpg

STA71942.jpg

STA71943.jpg

STA71944-1.jpg

STA71946.jpg

STA71947.jpg

so yeah, this is what you have all been waiting for. it has a full akrapovic exhaust system on it too :) unfortunately its a Cat C write-off, but i have just bought a new frame thats HPI clear so all i well…watch this space for the step-by-step, its going to be a lengthy process

HippoDrones
    Participant

nice :)

Radar

Looks good, done a few miles too I see. That has to be the world’s biggest steering damper!

What is classed as a Cat C?

BigBen
    Participant

haha yeah its a bit on the large side, it hits my knee even when the steering is straight, but then again my legs are long.
    its stolen/recovered as far as i know so anything like that goes to Cat C, and things with heavy damage like broken fairings and engine casings.. lighter cosmetic damage goes to Cat D. vehicles that people have died on/in goes to Cat A, which has to be crushed by law. and finally Cat B (break only) bent frames, smashed engines etc.
    i have had to deal with Cat A motorbikes before, they dont look much like bikes to be honest…its a bit brutal to be honest. ill search my emails and see if i can find some pictures

BigBen
    Participant

i could only find one, which consequently was the worst out of all salvage bikes i had in. this is in no way a laugh, its just to educate.

this is a Category A motorcycle (this is the what it looks like when it goes very f**king wrong)

DCP_2527JPG.jpg

DCP_2528JPG.jpg

DCP_2530JPG.jpg

DCP_2531JPG.jpg

DCP_2532JPG.jpg

DCP_2533JPG.jpg

DCP_2526JPG.jpg

TT07
    Participant

Yes agree, not funny at all. I MIGHT be seeking a Cat C soon, not saying what just yet though!

BigBen
    Participant

bit mysterious is that. dont do it unless you have lots of free time on your hands to fix it. my kwak ran with no problems for about two years then randomly just died and wouldnt live again :S

also as you are the only person (that im aware of) that has a GSXR1000 you have pulled the unfortunate duty of receiving about 4028 PM’s from me over the next couple of months. however i cannot say why at this stage :))
    subframe related though, hope you dont mind :D

TT07
    Participant

Am interested in a Cat C as my Daughters chap is in the second hand car trade and as far as repairs go he’s got the right contacts. He was asked if HE wanted a repaired ?*!?*!?* to sell on, so I could get one at the right price (for me), I’ve missed one but they are coming through all of the time. Am I right in believing that to insure a Cat C is fine but in the unfortunate event of a claim then Companies are loath to pay out as the insured machine has already taken a “hit”.
    As far as asking anything on the GSXR1000 goes fire away, your secrets safe with me, and Gix who contributes on this Forum also has a GSXR1000, an 02 model if my memory serves me well.

BigBen
    Participant

never heard of that model :P im such a comedian :)
    fair enough, but i would still be a tad weary.
    this is something i heard after i insured mine actually. i hadnt even thought about it at the time, but yeah apparently they try to avoid paying. a guy that works at the garage i go to was saying about it, he knew someone that bought a cat C car and crashed it and they refused to pay out, so he told me to avoid but naturally i didnt listen.

not to be mean to Gix or anything you are the only man who can help, its a K7 i need to talk about :)

BigBen
    Participant

spent a couple hours working on the scooter today (when i was meant to be tidying the garage) but its one job out of the way isnt it. just need to free the rear drum brake off and its ready to go.

technically got another bike coming monday. although its just a frame but still.

tis a 1200 bandit frame i purchased on ebay so i can reframe mine so its not recorded as a write-off. and i have a subrame plus battery tray arriving tuesday (ish) and a swingarm wednesday (ish) other than that cant say anything more :P

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Bandit looks good Ben. That R1 looks well mashed. I doubt a proper crusher would do that good a job.

BigBen
    Participant

cheers ID, it is indeedy, bit of a shame to see things in that condition.
    moving on, i havent posted anything about my bike in quite a while so here it is.

im getting the engine cases, sump and cam cover shot-blasted on monday……that was it
    i have some shiny bolts too!! and new gaskets, and APE adjustable cam shaft sprockets.

having just read back through a couple of posts on this thread i have just realised that i havnt actually disclosed what im intending on doing, so i may as well tell all i suppose.

as i already said i bought another standard bandit 1200 frame, the subframe is off it, the engine is in, and all the parts are on order as we speak, im building a streetfighter! you all knew it was coming but now i finally decided to go somewhere with it. i actually might post pics of what i have, but who knows. if anyone is interested ill post some.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.