Triumph Speed Triple (2006) Review

Home Forums British beef Triumph Speed Triple (2006) Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

I’ve had my bike now for around a month, the engine is losening up now quite nicely. Only upto 8000rpm tho!

My initial impression of the bike was “Wow” looked like it had super build quality and compared to my MG all the bits fitted together with no unintentional gaps. 800 miles on and the build quality is fine appart from the anodised footplates are losing their finish due to my armoured boots. To be expected really but a little dissapointing.

As I said the engine is losening up now and I am able to really feel the power. I have no idea how I’m going to be able to run it in further as the unfaired bike is painful above 110mph especially with the wind coming at me. Seriously at 125mph it really hurts, but I bought this bike to slow me down and I think it will do just that.

This bike is fantastic. It is so much fun around town and it seems to corner better than my old CBR600F-Y, it only bites back when I have silly lean angles and bits of metal scraping on the deck. Teach me to try and get my knee down! lol.

I really think that when it is fully run in I will be the happiest Hooligan on the roads! The front wheel seems pretty flighty even with a reasonably light throttle. Don’t take this as tank slapper hell though as on twisty “B” roads it remains firmly planted, but the suspension is a little hard at the moment for the bumpiest of roads. Talking of suspension it is proper top notch kit fully adjustable front and rear.

The bike comes fitted with some neat electronic wizardry including two trips, mpg, average mpg, clock and a programable set of gear change lights (which I haven’t worked out how to set yet!)

The riding position is great with nice wide and well positioned straight bars, footpegs are perfect for me. The side-stand is well tucked away when riding which is good for ground clearance but not for parking as it has a very stumpy lug for putting the stand down and my boots can’t get a footing on it to lower it.

As I get more to write I will, but in the meantime here are a few photos:

bikepics-521977-800.jpg
    bikepics-521976-800.jpg

28/03/2016 some piccies put back in, from Pete’s bikepics page

Radar

Good review and look it look s cool in black. Triumph do the “Factoryfighter” look way better than anybody else.

sid
    Participant

have you seen the new fazer radar?

Radar

I will check that Fazer out and come back. But Triumph Speed Triples have also been aggressive looking bikes.

HippoDrones
    Participant

Update:

I really love this bike! It scares me, it teases me, it f’in ROCKS!

It gives me so much confidence on the twisty bits and I have found myself addicted to roundabouts; its so stable when cranked over at silly angles. I’ve even started to scrape the pads on the shins of my boots!

On the straights it is ballistic and I have even told my mum that once it goes over 130mph your eyes start to bleed! Trouble is that if you are riding fast into the wind it loses stability and doesnt inspire confidence with the wide bars weaving around! When going with the wind or in a light breeze it is fine though. I am struggling to get it into first once the engine is warm, also neutral is a bitch too. I can put up with this but I am hoping its a bedding in thing and will get better rather than worse. Time will tell and at least it is under warenty if there is a problem.
    DSC00199.jpg

Gix
    Participant

you not using synthetic oil are you?

HippoDrones
    Participant

Don’t know what they put in it. heard that synthetic can cause clutch probs. I wd40’d the gear linkages and seems slightly better now but not perfect.

Radar

Report the problem to your dealer, then if anything does does go Pete Tong at least you will have some comeback

HippoDrones
    Participant

I guess that is a sound plan. They can’t help if I don’t tell them there is a problem!

Lex
    Participant

Don’t normally like Brit bikes, but the Speed Triple is a good looking bike. Dodgy gearbox is a major hassle though. Have they still not learnt how to put them together right? Some things never change. Hope you give them a right b0ll0cking!

HippoDrones
    Participant

With all new vehicals you can get problems that need ironing out. If you like the look of the
    Speed Triple check out their new 600 sports bike! lush!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Gear change is still not quite right but a new lube on the chain has certainly helped, may review the stuff on here another time.

Went up to Scotland again on the bike last week and came back on Thursday. had a wicked time on Naomi, she loves the roads up there!

Anyway went for a quick 30-40mile blat while I was up there and got a little carried away, 200miles later I made it back to base. Those Scotish roads are brill! GO UP THERE AND SEE FOR YOURSELFS!!! trust me best in the uk.

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

Radar

Gtreat pictures reminds me of when I toured Scotland on my GS550 in 1987. Stunning roads, looks like you had a superb time

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Cool pics mate. Jealous as hell, even looks like you had the weather for it.
    Trumpet looks nice, did you take a passenger? Just looking at the ‘zorst, would be nice and warm for them (on the one side at least).

HippoDrones
    Participant

Well although my bike is at the moment slightly wonkey, I have changed it a bit since I last looked at this thread.

I have now got some really noisy Wolf carbon race cans, a rear led light that has integral indicaters and a moddified rear, the tail unit has had several mods to it trying to perfect it for cosmetics and some practicality and the set up now is the best compromise. I’ve fitted a Ducati tail tidy and small plate. About to put some Renthal style bars on and then enjoy what sunshine we have left this year before it comes off the road due to my transgression on the public highway.

DSC00060.jpg

wolfcanssmall.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.